To Buy or not To Buy…Online?
1. Who are you dealing with? Information about the site owner should be clearly identified somewhere on the site. They should list either email address or phone number, or both, and a full mailing address. These are very important should you decide you need to file a complaint or check on your order.
2. How much is it going to cost you? The price should be clearly displayed and include all costs. Be sure to remember to look for information about delivery charges, taxes and currency differences.
3. What are you buying? You should be able to easily identify the product. This is especially important online because you often can't see the goods you buy. Be sure you understand exactly what you are buying. You may also want to do some research before you buy. It is always good to read online product reviews like those found at http://www.consumer-research-guide.com which lists reviews of many of the products or services commonly purchased online.
4. Is there stock available? Stock availability should be clearly displayed. If they tell you an item is on back order, be sure they give you an approximate date for order completion. If not, you would probably be better served to cancel your order and try another merchant.
5. What delivery methods are available? Determine what deliver options you desire are available and how much it will cost. Also ensure that the merchant delivers to your country. This is especially important since the Internet is truly and international community.
6. How do you know when you’ve confirmed your order? There should be a clearly defined ordering process for you to follow. You should also receive a receipt for your order either online or by email.
7. How can you pay for your purchase? Payment options available should be clearly displayed. Most online stores will accept credit card, but some do not. Some stores accept non-internet payment, debit card or third party payment providers (PayPal, Western Union, etc.).
9. How long will it take to get your order? Make sure the store gives a stated target time for delivery, and that you'll receive an email to tell you when it's been sent.